Traditional British Food: Chicken and Mushroom Pie

Thursday, July 14, 2011
I finally got to use my pie bird!

This is the second Chicken and Mushroom Pie recipe I've posted.  Is it possible to have too many Chicken and Mushroom Pie recipes?  I think not.  This recipe serves six, so I divided it up into three portions so the pie could be baked fresh every time.  I actually think it was better after the flavors in the filling got to meld in the refrigerator!

Chicken and Mushroom Pie

If you happen to need a pastry recipe:
Short Crust Pastry


Since the original recipe for Chicken and Mushroom Pie came from a lovely little book called Favourite Dorset Recipes, I want to tell you about a new-to-me television show that takes place in Dorset: Escape to River Cottage.  The series is hosted by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, who decided to leave life in London for a small farm in Dorset.  I like how honest he is about the realities of growing one's own food and raising livestock.  I like that he admits he's become attached to his pigs, but doesn't lose sight of the reason he bought them in the first place.  He then goes on to make the most wonderful things one could ever imagine from pork--a fitting end for his first year as a small-holder.  I've also read Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Cookbook, which is definitely worth checking out.

Escape to River Cottage isn't available on DVD in the US, but you can download episodes from Amazon.

*****
In other news, my TiVo is now refusing to pause live television and is randomly recording things, even though I turned off the "suggestions" almost as soon as I got it.  I turned it on and it was in the middle of recording something called Swamp People!  So--TiVo is going to get a call today, preferably from Paul because I don't want to deal with them anymore.

And my Netflix subscription is now $23.98.  So, Paul and I have a lot of thinking to do about our entertainment expenses.  Grrr.

My Blog List

Popular Posts