Pavakkai Fry/ Bittergourd fry

Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Bittergourd/Pavakkai is one of the most hated vegetables. I had an aversion towards the bitter veggie for long, but knowing its nutritional benefits, I knew I had to make it at home. I made this crispy version and it tasted great as a side dish with rice and dal and also with curd rice. I made it the simple way as I usually make other vegetable stir fries. I added some grated coconut towards the end to mitigate the bitterness of the bitter gourd.

Ingredients
Bittergourd / Pavakkai - 2 medium sized ones
Onion - 1 small sized
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Urad dal - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Grated coconut - 2 tablespoons

Directions
  • Wash the bittergourd and slice it finely.
  • In a kadai, heat the oil and do the tempering with the mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and add the sliced onions. 
  • Once they turn translucent, add the sliced bittergourd and saute for a minute. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt to taste and mix well. 
  • Sprinkle some water and cover for about two minutes and cook until the bittergourd turns soft. Remove the lid and fry for a few minutes and until it turns crispy. 
  • Add the grated coconut and saute for a minute until everything combines together.

Serve warm along with rice and dal.

My Blog List

Popular Posts