Afternoon Tea in the Garden with Portland from Glendora and Angel Face Roses

Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Afternoon Tea in the Garden with Portland from Glendora and Angel Face Roses 1

Recently, while I was tending to my roses, the middle '87 walked by with her dog, Kujo, the "killer" golden retriever. :P

I had finally gotten around to setting up my garden space -- potting my roses and putting together my patio table. It's not quite there yet, I still have a few plants that need proper pots and it's not quite blooming season for the roses. I let Kujo go off-leash in the yard, where he promptly rolled around and then proceeded to eat tufts of grass.

My cousin asked about the roses and I pointed them out by name.

"You gave them names?" she asked, slightly amused, especially since all she could see were thorns and leaves.

No. I don't give them names, they already have them.

"Oh. How can you tell them apart?"

Growth habits. Types of stems. Types of leaves. It's easier after they've bloomed.

"Oh."

Then she put the leash back on her dog and took him home for a bath. And that was that.

Until lil' sis said my cousin strongly hinted that she ask me if I would do a barbecue in the yard. Specifically, if I'd make carne asada. I said there wasn't time for a barbecue, but I could defrost my last container of chicken liver pate and we could do an afternoon tea in the garden. My cousin brought over half a loaf of thick, dense Albertson's French bread. I deigned it unworthy of my pate and she tucked it back into her purse.

With one thing or another, spring break flew by and lil' sis went back to school. So on my cousin's last day in town, after work, I ran to Kiki Bakery to buy a chocolate swirl bun and a mini chocolate cake, and Banh Me & Che Cali Restaurant for a proper baguette. I caught her while she was out walking Kujo again and invited her over for afternoon tea. She rounded up her youngest brother and the oldest '88 and we had an impromptu afternoon tea, in the garden, amongst Portland from Glendora and Angel Face roses.

Read more »

My Blog List

Popular Posts